Buy Dailuaine OnlineThe distillery was founded in 1852 by William Mackenzie. Dailuaine is Gaelic for the “green vale”. Dailuaine is located beside the Carron burn in the Spey valley between Ben Rinnes and the River Spey. The buildings are of Victorian design and its famous pagoda roof was one of the first. It was designed by the famous architect Charles Doig in 1889 and was Scotland’s first pagoda roof design other distilleries soon followed suit. Dailuaine was connected to the Strathspey railway line for more than a century and had its own steam locomotive, Dailuaine No. 1, which carried supplies to and from the distillery. It was in use until 1967 and is now preserved on the line. A fire in 1917 destroyed many of the buildings and the historical roof. The distillery was rebuilt and opened four years later. DCL became owners in 1925 and in 1960 they refurbished the distillery, increasing the stills from four to six and replacing the floor maltings with a Saladin box. DCL also installed indirect still heating in 1965. The maltings were officially closed in 1983 and malt was purchased centrally. Diageo acquired the distillery after buying out DCL in 1998 a limited cask strength 16 year old and a 17 year old Managers dram matured in sherry casks.
Stills: 3 wash stills, 3 spirit stills
Capacity: 3,200,000 litres of alcohol per year
Open To Visitors: No
Contact: Dailuaine Distillery
Water Source: The Bailliemullich Burn