Buy Glen Elgin OnlineWilliam Simpson and James Carle established Glen Elgin distillery in 1898, to a design by Charles Doig. Charles Doig made a famous prediction that Glen Elgin would be the last distillery built in Speyside for fifty years, his prediction was right, it wasn’t for another sixty years that Tormore was built. The distillery lies between Rothes and Elgin in a distillery neighbourhood, which it shares, with Coleburn, Longmorn, Benraich, Glenlossie and Mannochmore. The striking feature of the distillery is its six wooden worm tubs lined up in the yard, Glen Elgin being one of the ten distilleries to use this system. Glen Elgin was built in the time of the Pattison Crash and found it hard to start a consistent production pattern with three owners and numerous periods of closure. It was eventually licensed to White Horse Distillers in 1930 and the spirit was used mainly for the White Horse blend. An expansion in 1964 increased the number of stills from two to six and there was another refurbishment in 1984 where new stills were installed. A 12 year old was released in the Flora & Fauna series but was then replaced with a 12 year old in the Hidden Malts series, which has now been abandoned in favour of the Classic Malts series.
Distillery: Glen Elgin
Stills: 3 wash stills, 3 spirit stills
Capacity: 1,800,000 litres of alcohol per year
Water Source: Springs near Millbuies Loch
Open To Visitors: No
Contact: Glen Elgin Distillery